Monday, February 9, 2009

Good times with bad decisions (Part 1)

It's that time of 4th-year, we're about 4 months away from being MD's and all motivation has gone to shit.



Well, I guess I can't say all motivation. We're always motivated to take care of our patients. And we're motivated to spend the rest of the time partying as hard as possible.

Intern year is gonna be nothing like the time we have now, and we've been doing this so long now that all pretense is out the door. We're all ready to be the doctors we set out to be so long ago, and SO over the extra garbage like impressing residents and taking exams.

So, where was I 12 hours before my Neurology Shelf exam? Why, trashed at a Metallica concert, of course.

The concert ROCKED, they still have it. And though my boy LaPorta got us sick seats, sneaking down to general admission made the experience perfect. It had been a while since I'd gotten dropped by a big dude in a mosh pit, carried surfers overhead, and pushed up with the crowd near the stage. I was very overdue for a good GA rock concert. Perfect.

Flash forward to waking up the next morning:
Hangover, check. Neck stiffness & pain from headbanging, check. Hurts to bend my left index finger after a bad fall in the mosh pit, not enough sleep, didn't finish even 1 book in preparation for this exam, check check & check. Let's go.

Here's the beautiful part, at this point it's a pass/fail exam and, if I fail, I just take it again next month. So really it's a pass-now/pass-later exam. I'll let you know how it went in a future blog update.
I kinda didn't wanna ruin my streak of never failing an exam in med school...but I kinda wanted to go to a Metallica concert, too. Kinda down.




No comments: